Human Services (HS) Standards (VIC only)
ACHS is an authorised Independent Review Body (IRB) with the Victorian Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH). DFFH has endorsed ACHS to review department-funded organisations against the Human Services (HS) Standards and the governance and management standards (EQuIP or National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards).
DFFH in Victoria funds organisations to provide a broad range of services across children, youth and family services, homelessness services and some disability services. All funded organisations or services registered by the DFFH to provide direct services to clients in these areas are required to meet the Human Services Standards.
The Human Services (HS) Standards
The HS Standards consist of the four service delivery standards and an approved overarching governance and management accreditation scheme. The four service delivery standards are:
- Empowerment: People’s rights are promoted and upheld
- Access and engagement: People’s right to access transparent, equitable and integrated services is promoted and upheld
- Wellbeing: People’s right to wellbeing and safety is promoted and upheld
- Participation: People’s right to choice, decision-making and to actively participate as a valued member of their chosen community is promoted and upheld.
Governance and Management Standards
In addition to meeting the HS Standards, funded services must also meet governance and management standards approved by the DFFH.
These are the overarching accreditation standards used to assess relevant HS program/s in the following areas:
- leadership and management
- financial management
- human resources – including pre-employment checks, training and development, supervision and workforce
- continuous quality improvement and feedback processes
- information and knowledge management including confidentiality
- occupational health and safety
- partnerships / service coordination
ACHS offers the following governance and management standards endorsed for HS Standards programs:
The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing Human Services Standards policy, evidence guide and resources can be downloaded from here