Introduction and Background
The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) is an authorised Independent Review Body (IRB) with the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). DHHS has endorsed ACHS to review department-funded organisations against the Human Services Standards and the governance and management standards (EQuIP or National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards).
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) in Victoria funds organisations to provide a broad range of services across children, youth and family services, homelessness services and disability services. All funded organisations or services registered by the DHHS to provide direct services to clients in these areas are required to meet the Human Services (HS) Standards.
Overview of the HS Standards
The HS Standards consist of the four service delivery standards and an approved overarching governance and management accreditation scheme. The four service delivery standards are:
- 1. Empowerment: People’s rights are promoted and upheld.
- 2. Access and engagement: People’s right to access transparent, equitable and integrated services is promoted and upheld.
- 3. Wellbeing: People’s right to wellbeing and safety is promoted and upheld.
- 4. Participation: People’s right to choice, decision making and to actively participate as a valued member of their chosen community is promoted and upheld.
Governance and Management Standards
In addition to meeting HS Standards, services must meet governance and management standards approved by the DHHS.
Governance and management standards are the overarching accreditation standards, which are used to assess relevant HS Standards program/s in the following areas:
- leadership and management
- financial management
- human resources – including pre-employment checks, training and development, supervision and workforce
- continuous quality improvement and feedback processes
- information and knowledge management including confidentiality
- occupational health and safety
- partnerships/service coordination
ACHS offers the following governance and management standards endorsed for HS Standards programs;
- The Evaluation and Quality Improvement Programs (EQuIP)
- National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards
The Department of Human Services Standards policy, evidence guide and resources can be downloaded from: http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/about-the-department/documents-and-resources/policies,-guidelines-and-legislation/human-services-standards
For more information on the ACHS Human Services Standards accreditation program or to obtain a quote, please contact an ACHS Customer Services Manager at email@example.com or phone ACHS on 02 9281 9955.
Last Review Date 26 September 2017